Taking your undergraduate research overseas represents a unique opportunity to combine research and education abroad. MSU offers over 20 education abroad programs with a research component. 

Undergraduate Education Abroad Research Opportunities

Are you interested in participating in an undergraduate research experience during an education abroad program? There are a number of programs sponsored by the Office for Education Abroad that engage students in undergraduate research. Visit the Undergraduate Education Abroad Research Opportunities site to learn more about these programs. A scholarship is also available for Research Abroad program participants--see the Funding page for more details.

Programs that Qualify for Undergraduate Research Abroad Scholarship

The Office for Education Abroad maintains a list of approved education abroad programs that offer a research component. Students participating in one of these approved programs can apply for the scholarship. (Learn more about the scholarship here.) In addition, some independent studies conducted abroad may also qualify for this scholarship.  Contact the Undergraduate Research Office (ugrsrch@msu.edu) for details.

Program Coordinators: If you would like your Education Abroad program reviewed to determine whether it qualifies as Research Abroad, please complete this survey.

EuroScholars Research Abroad Program

The EuroScholars Research Abroad Program provides MSU Honors College students the opportunity to conduct research at a leading European university for a semester to a year. Countries include Belgium, Finland, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. Students will enroll in 3-4 courses for the semester including: 1) the research project (topic of student’s choice selected in consultation with faculty at the host university), 2) a methods and literature review course (independent study), 3) a language and culture course, and 4) an elective course (if applicable).The EuroScholars program offers a “flexible curriculum individually built around each student’s academic needs.” This opportunity is exclusively for Honors College members and offers a strong focus on research. ISA epresents the EuroScholars program in North America and will facilitate the application process after the initial review within the Honors College. Visit the Honors College EuroScholars website for more information.


Cultural Vistas Program

This internship and work abroad opportunity allow students and professionals to develop the expanding set of competencies demanded in today’s global economy through sustained immersion in a foreign country.

Fulbright Programs

Pursue undergraduate research and creative scholarship through the Fulbright Program. Study and research in over 160 partner countries. Contact Joy Campbell at joycamp@msu.edu to learn more. Post-bac opportunities are also available.

National/International Fellowships and Scholarships

Apply for prestigious national and international awards to fund your education and research! All MSU students are eligible to apply. Deadlines and requirements vary. For more information, contact the NIFS Office at nifs@msu.edu or call 517-884-7650.