Van Andel Institute 2021 Summer Internship Programs
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1, 2021
The Summer Internship Programs are designed to provide undergraduate college students opportunities to be mentored by professionals in their chosen research field, to become familiar with the use of state-of-the-art scientific equipment and technology, and to learn valuable interpersonal and presentation skills. The goal of these programs is to expose undergraduate college students to exciting advances in biomedical sciences that will help define their career paths.
For the 2021 Summer Internship Programs, interns will have the opportunity to work in the areas of cell biology, epigenetics, metabolism and nutritional programming, neurodegenerative science and structural biology. For more information on Van Andel Institute (VAI) laboratories, please click here.
We expect to support 25 - 30 undergraduate student summer internships in VAI research laboratories. Interns will be paired with a scientific investigator and/or their designee for an intense 10-week research experience. Interns will gain an understanding of the latest research methods, instruments, and testing procedures. They will learn how to design experiments and see how their test results can contribute to a larger research project. At the end of each internship program, interns will give an oral presentation or poster presentation about their experience to VAI research staff.
Thank you to our sponsors and their generous gifts to support summer internship programs:
· Meijer Foundation
· Maas Family Foundation – Hope College
· Van Andel Institute Purple Community – Hope College
· Van Andel Institute Graduate School
Summer interns are required to begin on one of two program start dates:
· Session I: May 10, 2021 – July 16, 2021
· Session II: June 7, 2021- August 13, 2021
COVID-19 may affect on-site internships. Updates on undergraduate summer internship programs will be provided by the Research Advisory Committee, VAI COVID-19 Task Force and the Undergraduate & Internship Program Committee at: https://vaigs.vai.org/undergrad-research/program-details/
INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Undergraduate college students must have completed at least one year of higher education (equivalent to 24 credit hours), be enrolled in a science/research related degree program and maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Students who have graduated before the start date of the summer internship program (May 10, 2021) are ineligible. If you are currently enrolled as a high school student or in a Master's degree program, you are ineligible to participate in the undergraduate research summer internship program.
Van Andel Institute is an Employment Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. We strongly encourage undergraduate student applicants from minority serving institutions including historically black colleges & universities, tribal colleges & universities and Hispanic serving institutions, as well as McNair Scholars.
International students are eligible to apply if they meet the requirements for the program and are legally permitted to work and earn income in the United States. Van Andel Institute does not sponsor visas for interns.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION
An attachment (PDF file format) is required to support your online application:
A cover letter, resume, and official transcript (or unofficial transcript) will need to be combined as a single PDF file and then uploaded as an attachment with your online application:
· A cover letter indicating why you would like to participate in this summer internship and your career goals;
· A resume, which includes your education, research experience, skills, volunteer experience, and publications (if any);
· Official (or unofficial) transcripts from your college or university. It is important to note you will be responsible for uploading your transcripts to your online application. Any transcripts received via email or from your institutions transcripts delivery service will not be accepted.
Additional application materials required:
· Two (2) current letters of recommendation (due by February 5, 2021) to support your application. Ask professors, research mentors and/or supervisors to submit letters of recommendation, on institute letterhead, in PDF electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following address:
Undergraduate & Internship Program Committee (98001/VAIGS)
Undergraduate Summer Internship Program
Van Andel Institute Graduate School / Van Andel Institute
333 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2518