Acquiring funding is part of the research process. Faculty diligently search and compete for limited resources. To help with the process, consider the following suggestions:
- The Undergraduate Research Office provides funding to each undergraduate college to support student research. Refer to the College Resource page to learn about the process for your respective college.
- Talk with your faculty mentor for ideas about professional organizations or agencies related to your work. Sometimes these organizations offer scholarships and grants to undergraduate students.
- Be prepared to “cobble” together your funding—you may not find one source to provide all of your funding. However, you might find an office or several smaller grants that might pay for a portion of your expenses. Make sure to prepare a spreadsheet that outlines your anticipated expenses.
Search these grant websites for additional funding opportunities:
- MSU Library Grant Site focuses primarily on funding opportunities for individuals, such as financial aid or scholarships for students.
Undergraduate Student Travel Support
The Undergraduate Research Office has some funding available to support undergraduate student travel to professional conferences. The funds have a few stipulations:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled undergraduate students at MSU, who are working towards their undergraduate degrees.
- Undergraduate students must be presenting their work—not just attending the conference.
- The college or academic department is responsible for completing the necessary travel authorization forms for each student.
- A financial contribution is required from the academic department and/or college. For example, if a student’s total cost for a conference is estimated to be around $1000, and if the academic department can contribute $200 and the college can contribute $300, the Undergraduate Research Office will try to provide $500 to match. However, a match is not guaranteed.
- A budget of estimated total expenses should be included with each request.
In order to be considered for conference travel support, please complete and submit this application to the Undergraduate Research Office. Each request will be considered on an individual basis; the funds are available on a first-come, first serve basis. UPDATE: The Undergraduate Research Office has no more student travel support available for the 2017-18 academic year. We will consider applications for travel that occurs after June 1, 2018.
Entrepreneurial Undergraduate Research
The Gerstacker Foundation Entrepreneurial Grant Program is an opportunity for undergraduate students from the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines to compete for funding for a research concept with entrepreneurial potential. Students will develop a concept, conduct the research, and present their findings with the goal of getting their concept into use or production. Interested students should contact Paul Jaques, Director of Student and Community Engagement at Spartan Innovations, by email email@example.com or call 517-884-4548. For more detailed program information visit The Hatch.
Undergraduate Research Study Abroad Program Scholarship
The Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education (APUE) and the Office for Education Abroad provides financial support for undergraduate MSU students to participate in approved accredited study abroad programs that have an undergraduate research component. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher at the time of application and have applied for a research study abroad program.
To be considered, submit this application to the MSU Office of Study Abroad by the following application deadlines:
- Friday, October 13, 2017, for spring 2018 programs or academic year 2017-18 programs
- Thursday, March 1, 2018, for summer and fall 2018 programs
The Undergraduate Research Office travel support funds are available for students who have been selected to present research at a professional conference or workshop
Undergraduate Research Education Abroad Program Scholarship
To be considered, submit this application, essay and one letter of academic reference to the MSU Office for Education Abroad by October 13, 2017.